Tamagotchi Original VS Tamagotchi On: The Evolution
April 24, 2020
The Tamagotchi device has been a must-have virtual pet and vintage staple for decades! The device was born in Japan in 1996 and came to the US in 1997, which quickly became a worldwide phenomenon. Fast forward to 2019 and Tamagotchi (once again) took the world by storm with the epic launch of the Tamagotchi On!
So now the question is…what’s the difference between the Original Tamagotchi and the Tamagotchi On?! Let’s unpack this a little further!
The Original Tamagotchi:
The Original Tamagotchi introduced many core features that are still used on almost all Tamagotchi versions to this day!
Some of the features include…
- Feeding your Tamagotchi character
- Turning the lights On/Off
- Playing with your Tamagotchi character
- Giving it medicine and checking its health and discipline!
- You can raise your Tamagotchi from egg to child to adult and how you take care of it will determine which of the 7 adults you’ll get!
- There are two different games to play, a character and numbers game!
The Tamagotchi On:
The Tamagotchi On made its debut in May 2019 with many different features and millions of new Tamagotchi characters! The new experiences and connectivity of the Tamagotchi On device provides users with endless hours of entertainment!
Now let’s get into all the amazing features…
- Colored-digital screens
- You decide what your character does: eat at home or at the restaurant, shop in the different Lands, go to the washroom, bathe, make friends, travel to different Lands, play games, take care of a TamaPet
- Interact with other Tamagotchi On devices to visit friends, give gifts, travel together and even marry to build your family tree
- Connect your device to an interactive APP on mobile devices to see more unique characters, play games, meet new Tamagotchi characters to marry and earn ‘Gotchi’ points and other surprises to bring back to your device!
- Daycare drop-off feature allows users to leave their My Tama in good hands while they take some time off (and go to school)
Over the years, we’ve seen Tamagotchi evolve and continue to be a hit with kids, showing that virtual pets have not lost their appeal! As Tamagotchi continues to evolve, new versions will have those 90s kids (who are now adults) envious of all the new Gen Z friendly features! Plus, for the generation of kids that have grown up with iPads and smartphones, the Tamagotchi On feels like a familiar game designed to capture their attention and keep them returning to the screen!
We can’t wait to see what the future holds for Tamagotchi! To all our loyal fans, we thank you for being part of the Tamagotchi evolution!
To stay up to date on the latest content, follow @Tamagotchi_us!